Raising Millions for Freight Tech: Michael Sachaj has seen many companies come and go throughout his career, so it’s only natural that he knows a good start-up when he sees one.
Darien Student's $3.5M Shipping Fraud Scheme
21-year-old Darien College student faces 45 years in prison for orchestrating a $3.5M shipping fraud scheme.
It's a Netflix docuseries-worthy heist: 21-year-old Matthew Frederic Bergwall, a University of Miami student from Darien, CT, decided to swap textbooks for thievery in a $3.5 million shipping fraud scheme. Bergwall is facing a potential 45-year-stint in federal prison for the scheme.
How It Worked:
- Gained unauthorized access to employee accounts at a shipping company.
- Entered fraudulent tracking info for high-value items like electronics and designer goods.
- This fraud allowed for merchandise refunds while keeping the goods.
- Nearly 10,000 fraudulent returns.
- Loss of $3.5 million in products and sales for victim retailers.
- Bergwall splurged on luxury items: a $41,000 Rolex watch, an electric skateboard, a smart TV, and more.
- He funded lavish trips, allegedly taking his girlfriend to Dubai.